On Friday, June 13th, 2014, the winner of the Midwest Regional Good Taste Series Culinary Competition was crowned. After three rounds of intense cooking competition, Chef de Cuisine Paul Dobroski of the Park Hyatt Chicago was named the winner by our esteemed panel of judges. The competition not only highlights our company’s amazing talents, but also reinforced Hyatt’s global food philosophy; Food. Thoughtfully Sourced, Carefully Served.
Local celebrity judges were tapped for the panel as they evaluated the chefs through three rounds that included breakfast, their choice of lunch or dinner, and a challenging children’s menu round. The judges from left to right:
- Christina Weres, Senior Manager of Housing and Travel Services for the Radiological Society of North American
- David Causton, General Manager of McCormick Place Convention Center
- Dr. Sandy Goldberg, President of the Silver Lining Foundation, Emmy winner, and NBC5 Nutrition Contributor
- John Colletti, Managing Partner at Gibson’s Restaurant Group that includes Gibson’s Steakhouse and Hugo’s Frog Bar & Fish House
- LyNae Shleyer, Vice President of Meetings and Events for the National Automatic Merchandising Association
The panel spent a little over 3 hours listening to the chefs describe their beautiful dishes and, of course, tasting them! At the end, Chef Paul Dobroski of the Park Hyatt Chicago was awarded the title and will receive an all-expense paid trip to the Good Taste Series National Competition at the Andaz Wailea Maui Resort in Hawaii, a year’s subscription to his choice of cooking magazine or cookbook, a Shun Knife, and $500 American Express gift card. The winner of the National Competition in November will win a week-long trip to the Hyatt destination of their choice within the U.S., Canada, or Caribbean, travel expenses including airfare, and an extra week’s paid vacation.
Every contestant in the Midwest Competition was recognized with a copy of Top Chef winner Stephanie Izard’s book Girl in the Kitchen. Contestants included:
- Gabriel Robles, Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
- Konstantinos Chaidaropoulus, Chef de Cuisine, Hyatt Regency Chicago
- Joshua Karther, Executive Sous Chef, Hyatt Lodge
- Enrico Carpio, Executive Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency O’Hare
- Matt Woods, Culinary Supervisor, Hyatt Regency Columbus
- Karol Osinski, Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency Cincinnati
- Jonathan Bishop, Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency Cleveland
- Chester Cleveland, Culinary Supervisor, Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh
- Cassie Sargent, Sous Chef, Hyatt Regency Minneapolis
- Paul Dobroski, Chef de Cuisine, Park Hyatt Chicago
Good luck in Hawaii Chef Dobroski! We know you will represent the Midwest Region well.
You’re more than welcome at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, 2233 South Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60616; +1 312 567 1234